The Double Challenge

The Experiment: Find a penny, and find a way to double it. Then keep on doubling until I have enough money to pay off my mortgage.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The post that started it all

Ok I just found a blog where this guy is going to find a penny and keep doubling it until he has a million dollars. He's supposed to think of creative (legal) ways to make the money. There are a few rules, like all investing, etc. must come from the money produced from here and NONE of it can come from outside sources, etc. Check out his site for the general idea.

Double Your Way to a Million

Now my project will be heavily based on this guys plan, except I am going to make a few adjustments as I see fit. One change I see already is that once you double to your next level, you must spend the additional money on yourself as a treat. I think that's silly. You'll just end up slowing yourself down. I think that when I acheive a level and manage to overshoot it, then that simply becomes the next level. Say I have $4 and manage to more than double it by buying and selling something and I get $10. Well, then I acheived my goal and the next amount I want to acheive is $20. Seems silly to spend $2 on myself and then try to double to only $16. Hey, if I did better than expected, I should be rewarded by trying to double to something higher.

I'll come up with my official rules later. I couldn't help going out and trying to find my first penny. It actually took a while, but when I found that penny, I found anohter and then three in a row! Five cents! I never thought I would be excited to have five cents, but that means I already doubled to 2c and then overdoubled to 5c! Now I have to try to turn it into 10 cents. Yee haw. The way to do that is likely to just keep looking for change on the ground. I'll keep you posted and I'll do up my blog a bit nicer as time permits.

2 Comments:

Blogger richpeasant said...

Hello, I'm Gerard, the guy who is Doubling to a million.

It is true there are some rules which may seem 'silly' as you say. However the original report was written by a millionaire with his rules. At that time, the internet wasn't so prolific as it is now.

Although I don't keep to all the rules, they are all there for a reason. And the ones I don't keep are for practical reasons, not because I feel they are 'silly.'

Try to think of the lessons learnt in not keeping to a particular rule. And what you'll learn if you were to keep it.

The point I've emphasised over and over again is the need to 'find' a penny, not to go out looking. There is a difference. And it seems you've had the same experience I did in the early stages when more coins seem to appear.

There is no need to feel you have to go to the million. Go as far as you feel you have the reason to. Remember, what you learn is the imporant thing. The money follows automatically.

I wish you all the best and hope what I'm doing and other similar projects keep you inspired!

-Gerard

1:04 PM  
Blogger George Ogan said...

Gerard is right, also if you don't change the rules and treat yourself when you have a little extra then you won't have the urge to take some later thinking well I could have treated myself if I stuck to the rules. If you get up there 19 or 20, you will see that it's almost like having a second job and you will want a little payment when it comes along.

Have fun, I am with my blogs.

www.onepinchofpocketlint.com

powerofsteppingstones.blogspot.com

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home