The Double Challenge

The Experiment: Find a penny, and find a way to double it. Then keep on doubling until I have enough money to pay off my mortgage.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

ISP Nightmare

I have been having trouble getting my webspace set up that comes with my ISP signup. I called back in October to have it set up. I guess you have to request the space so they don't have to have tons of wasted server space for people that have no intention of making a web page. So back in October (2006) they set it up and said it would take 2 days before it started working. After a week it still wasn't working so I called thier support line. The person tried changing my Access password, but forgot to change it on my side so I lost connection and had to call again just to get back where I was. Next time I tried calling they were having network problems, so the guy changed my password again and said it should work in a few days when their network problems were solved. Needless to say, it never worked. Finally today I decided I would bug them until it was working. The first time I called I got some guy who had that tone of voice that said I was an idiot. He said I shouldn't be ftp-ing through internet explorer and that I should use third party ftp software. He also said their support web page recommends different programs. I went to thier support page and found no information like he was talking about. I almost gave up there, but I decided to keep calling until they fixed it. The second person today was pretty good, although first she changed my e-mail password and made sure I could log in to my e-mail and tried to end the call there. Once she finally understood what I was trying to do she was able to escalate the issue, which apparently means someone who knows what the heck they are doing will eventually get around to fixing it. She at least admitted the problem was on her side. I hung up finally feeling good about it and was about to write this blog post when I noticed that I couldn't get on line. She had changed my Access password on her side without changing it on my side again. I had to call AGAIN to get them to fix it. FINALLY I am back on line and supposedly someone is going to fix it in the next few days. Whew! I guess I had to get that off my chest. Hopefully I can set up my web page for my excel spreadsheet. The whole reason I want it is so people can buy my spreadsheet through paypal without having to e-mail me. I'm going to have a beer.

Flip

2 Comments:

Blogger Edo said...

Hi,

Just to say hello. I'm also working on Doubling Project. I read about your other project, too (One Green-Paper Flip). Really cool! It's inspirational, so maybe I'll also start something on that line. Anyway, I link to your blog from my. If you can link back it will be cool. My blog is here:
http://mydoublingadventure.blogspot.com

Good luck in your doubling adventure!

Edo :)

3:27 AM  
Blogger Edo said...

I send a small donation to your paypal. :)

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home