The Double Challenge

The Experiment: Find a penny, and find a way to double it. Then keep on doubling until I have enough money to pay off my mortgage.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Marketing Matters

I'm sitting in a chair on my driveway with all my junk around me. I'm having a garage sale before I move to try and reduce the amount of crap I need to move. It's scheduled from 8:00 to 12:00. It's 8:45 and I have not had a single customer. All is quite on the garage sale front. I think I am going to learn a hard lession in marketing today. I'm an engineer, so by nature I am more interested in getting the job done than trying to sell it. At work I work all day to make the perfect product. In the past I am sure I thought that if you make a good enough product then people will come and buy it... because it's a good product. I am starting to see that making a good product is only half of the work and that marketing IS VERY IMPORTANT. For this garage sale I worked hard cleaning my house, finding things to sell, but the marketing was an afterthought. With a few days to go I figured I should make a few signs. I posted on a few local message boards about it too. What I forgot until the day before was that since Monday was a holiday in Canada, garbage day is pushed back one day to Saturday morning... right when I wanted to have my garage sale. I figure no one wants to walk past loads of garbage to get to my stuff, so I changed it at the last minute to Sunday. Luckily I forgot to put the day on my signs so I could change them easily, but my two message board postings were now wrong. I corrected one, but ran out of time to fix the other one. I didn't post my signs in the neighborhood until 5PM the night before. Looking back, I did a real crappy job marketing this garage sale and I am paying for it now. If no one comes then I all I did was waste my time dragging all my crap onto my driveway and now I have to drag it back in a few hours and STILL have to move it to my new house. For some reason I never seem to give marketing the respect it deserves. Hopefully today will make me see the light. Marketing matters!

Flip

1 Comments:

Blogger Arkad said...

Great post, Flip.

I'm sorry you didn't do very well with the garage sale but I think it's fantastic that you actually got out and did something, analysed where you went wrong and learned from the experience. Most of all, I'm glad you shared your insights on your blog.

Working in IT, I too concentrate on the product more than the sales and marketing side of things and, like you, I'm learning the importance of this facet of the money making process.

Cheers,

Arkad

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home