The Double Challenge

The Experiment: Find a penny, and find a way to double it. Then keep on doubling until I have enough money to pay off my mortgage.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Don't Just Follow the Crowd

I am at the movies waiting for my movie to start and I am blown away. When I entered the theater I was met by a massive line. Five massive lines actually. After about 10 seconds I figured out that four of those lines led to three people who were selling tickets. The fifth line led to ten machines that sold tickets. This fifth line initially looked longer than any of the other four, but if you really looked you would see that this is because the machines lined the wall causing this line to start much closer to the door. In fact, this line had less people than any of the other four by half. Surely, anyone would easily figure out that a line half as long with three times the number of ticket sellers would be much faster. But there they were. 100 people all just standing there, waiting, completely oblivious to the fact that they were going to stand there 5 times as long for no reason. It amazes me, but this example just goes to show you that you should not always follow the herd. Just because everyone else is doing something a certain way does NOT make it the best way. Keep your eye out for what is best for you and follow your gut, not the crowd.

This makes me think of an e-mail I sent some guy selling his vending route. I asked him why he would sell it if it were such a good route. I had the feeling that since he was selling it, it must not be very good. But how do I know he's a good business man? He could be making a big mistake and just not realise it - just like the movie go-ers. Or maybe he's moving, or just needs the cash. I should look at it as a business decision on its own merits - not just assume its bad because he's getting rid of it.

Indiana Jones is starting now so I'd better go. Time to enjoy my great seat since I got in before the crowd.

Flip

2 Comments:

Blogger D. said...

What, you brought your laptop to the movies?

5:12 PM  
Blogger One Green-Paper Flip said...

Yep. I'm a full fledged geek now... NOT! Of course I didn't bring my laptop to the movies. What you must think of me. I managed to get my work to give me a blackberry, so I typed the post up there and transferred it when I got to work. Yeesh! Does the pocket protector give that much away?

Flip

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home