The Double Challenge

The Experiment: Find a penny, and find a way to double it. Then keep on doubling until I have enough money to pay off my mortgage.

Saturday, June 07, 2008

More Garage Sales!

I managed to pull my arse out of bed for the second straight Saturday morning and this time it paid off (I think). I picked up a small colour TV for $5. I should be able to sell it for somewhere between $10 and $20. I also picked up a humidfier for $5. It is a bit old, but I sold one in the past for a big profit, so I figure I should be able to unload it for more than $5. There was also a telescope, which apparently originally cost $800 with all the accessories. He was asking $300, so I probably could have talked him down to $250, but I decided this was too much of a risk since I don't know anything about telescopes and was a fairly big chunk of my stake for a risk. I think my rule of thumb for the future will be not to risk more than 10% of my stake on any particular venture. That means I can only afford to pay someone about $45. This definitely removes the telescope possibility. There was also an air hockey table the people were asking $100 for. I MIGHT go back and offer $50 (ok, $5 more than I just said I would) but no more than that. Other than that there was another TV, but the lady said the picture comes and goes - don't want that risk, and some speakers which looked ok, but I have been trying to get rid of my current speakers for a long time. The problem I find with garage sales is that you can't research the product unless you go home and come back (which I sometimes do). If you think you find a good deal on line, it is pretty easy to see what new an used ones are going for in general. I'll put my new products on line some time this weekend.

Flip

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home